Satellite
  • Day 32

    Astorga

    October 23, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Had a relaxing morning since I had nothing really planned except for a couple of things that I found to be important (makes perfect sense to me).

    I mentioned the kindness strangers had extended to me in past days. Well, there have been a couple more worthy of note. The first one occurred when I paid my room bill this morning. The owner had reduced the rate by another ten euros daily so this was enough to feed me for a day for sure.

    The second, and most importantly, occurred today as well. Last night I had a bocadillo for dinner and I chipped my molar. Bad news with two weeks to go. I shared my tale of sorrow with the owner this morning after I could not find a dental clinic open and he took it upon himself to call around, found an open clinic that he trusted and got me in as an emergency patient . As luck (perhaps Camino luck) would have it, the dentist did a wonderful job of grinding down the rough edge, then filled the void with amalgam. Said no chewing for two hours and it should be ok. Paid the 60 euro with many thanks. A very talented dentist, and very young. We communicated via a translation app on her smart phone and things went well.

    It's going to be cold for the next several days in the mornings so I found a sporting goods store and got a stocking cap and a much heavier, tighter fitting sport shirt that should keep me much warmer. I proudly walked out with the cap on my head feeling Christmas had arrived.

    Had time to tour the cathedral and have attached a picture or two as well as of the old Roman walls. Wish I could attach more, but these are the best. The Roman museum was closed and I'm disappointed as I wanted to see the Roman baths and compare to some of the facilities I've found along the Camino. Probably about the same quality. That reminds me...I've made a decision on the distance I will walk each day. I am going to limit myself to 20 km (that's about 12.4 miles). Reason is that I am getting tired, and arriving later than I need to ensure that I get lunch. I should make Santiago on November 5 which will give me a couple of days there before I fly to Madrid the evening of the 7th and home on the 8th. Fiesta for sure!

    Muxia will have to wait for another life.

    Lunch was a late breakfast. Fried eggs, bacon and sausage (which was nothing more than a hot dog). Juice and coffee were added; all for 5.50 euros. I'm going back there in the am before walking out of town. My first breakfast was a piece of potatoe pie and coffee and for breakfast dessert, I've had four yogurts, more apricots and a quart of juice. Dinner should be nice. I can wait until later as I am full at present.

    Thought a picture of the owner (sitting) and his assistant would be appropriate and interesting. I owe him a big debt of gratitude. The Roman walls are included and one showing how thick they were built as well as the construction materials used. The building that is referred to as the palace is the Episcopal Palace (the tourist information center must be closed for the season), and two pictures of the interior of the cathedral. The square near the cathedral is not large enough to permit a really good picture of the exterior so I'll make due with the interior. Also found a modern sculpture in one of the squares, but not appropriate for Jack to view (sorry Jack).

    So tomorrow I'm going to leave with my new cloths on and dance a jig in the square :)

    Just got a Fitbit email stating I have walked the equivalent of New Zeland, or 990 miles. All since the 8th of july. I learned that walking uphill as well as downhill gives more Fitbit miles since the steps are shorter, but I'll take it. Beggars cannot afford to be choosey.

    Dinner was a pizza, a procuitto personal pan pizza. In case you are wondering why I would order a pizza, well, it's comfort food and I can chew it on one side of my mouth. So far, so good so I celebrated by purchasing some of my favorite gummy candy. Nice.

    Until tomorrow.
    Read more