Satellite
  • Day 11

    Painswick to King's Stanley, June 9

    June 9, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Excellent breakfast. We are coming around to the thought that we are being served too much food. Arlene ate about half of her omlette and I struggled with a very large pancake...and I was asked if I would like another. Very good, but enough is enough. She even gave us two bananas to carry to eat later. We both agree that the Troy House is outstanding and one of a kind. There are 43 places to stay in Painswick and she must have the best.

    We walked down the street leading out of town, following the trail signs when we saw, running towards us, the first of 1300 runners who were doing a double marathon...all the way to Broadway Tower. We passed it last Saturday and those folks have 52 miles to run along the Cotswold Way. We're glad that we're not running. We cheered them on, holding the gates open for them and they were so appreciative that people with our funny accents would do that. What a blast to watch them.

    We told them all that they were looking good (not really, but nice to hear as we've run many races and it's always nice to hear the cheers from the crowd) so one runner yells that he had never been told that he was looking good and I yelled that we occasionally tell little white lies. His day was ruined!

    After all 1300 runners passed, we had the trail mainly to ourselves for a couple of hours, enjoying the views until two runners came blasting past us running uphill. At the top, they paused to wait for others and we inquired if they were training for next years Broadway Tower run. They said that there was a relay race next Saturday along the Cotswold Way that covered the entire length (102 miles) and they were part of one of the 113 relay teams. Each team member runs 20k (12.4 miles). That will be a tough race!

    After enjoying the 360 views at the Haresfield Beacon (an old Roman fort), we crossed a field...there to see was an ice cream stand. ICE CREAM ON A HOT DAY! The owner of the stand (said he owns three) works six months of the year and relaxes the rest. Said he was once a paramedic, but did not like the hours so he initially tried a stand, it worked out, and he purchased two more. Nice that he can enjoy life and the outside during the summer months.

    We had a couple of horses pass us in a forest, followed the trail through a vineyard, across the train tracks, across an ancient canal, pass an old (1891) textile mill and stopped at the Kings Head Pub for some refreshment before arriving at our B & B. Time to clean up and get ready for dinner...the very best time of any day (perhaps breakfast is equally important).

    We had to take a taxi to the Old Fleece Inn as the distance was too great to walk. Pretty good food so the tank is again filled and we await breakfast in the AM.

    Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!
    Read more