Satellite
  • Day 7

    Temple Mount

    May 13, 2019 in Palestine ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    The Temple Mount, as it is known today, is on Mount Moriah, where God told Abraham to take his son Isaac and offer him as a sacrifice (Gen. 22). It is also the location of the threshing floor that King David purchased for fifty shekels of silver from the Jebusite Ornan (also called Araunah, 2 Sam. 24:18-25; 1 Chr. 21:18–30). In the Bible, the mount is also referred to as “Zion,” a name that eventually came to encompass the entire Land of Israel.
    King David captured Jerusalem (2 Samuel 5:6-9) and designated it as the nation's capital. In 2 Samuel chapter 7, David planned to build a dwelling place for God and the Ark of the Covenant. But God said the temple would instead be built by his son Solomon (1 Kings 5:3; 1 Chronicles 22:7-8; 28:3).
    First Temple
    Construction commenced in Solomon's fourth year, about 966 BC and it took seven years to complete (1 Kings 6:1, 38). The temple became a treasury for national wealth and was often the target for attack and plundering. Over the centuries, the Temple has been desecrated and defiled by Jewish idolatry and enemies. Hezekiah thoroughly renovated the temple and restored worship after it had fallen in disuse (2 Chronicles 29:1-19) and later Josiah repaired the temple in 622 BC. Nebuchadnezzar captured Jerusalem in 586 BC, burned down the house of the Lord, broke down the walls around Jerusalem and took the Jews captive to Babylon (2 Kings 25:8-10).
    Second Temple
    In 538 BC, the Persian king Cyrus permitted Jews to return from exile and he authorized the rebuilding of the temple, financing it from the Persian treasury. The book of Ezra records the building of the Second Temple and the book of Nehemiah records the rebuilding of the city walls. The Second Temple was modest in comparison with its predecessor.
    Herod's Temple
    Starting in 20 BC, Herod the Great expanded the Temple Mount and rebuilt the Temple. The project began by extending the Temple Mount on the north, south, and west to create a vast platform bordered by a retaining wall of huge limestone blocks. The expansion doubled the Temple Mount platform and involved burying several structures, including Solomon’s palace. The Temple was rebuilt and was one of the most magnificent buildings of its time. While the main sanctuary was quickly erected (it was in full operation within 10 years), the total project was not completed until 64 AD, only 6 years before it was destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD. Jesus foretold this event (Matthew 21:9-15; 24:1-2) and wept over the impending destruction of the city and the temple (Luke 19:41-44). Since the destruction of the Second Temple, temple sacrifices, offerings, instruction, and worship have ceased.
    The Muslim's history with Mount Moriah dates back only to about the 7th century AD. The Dome of the Rock houses the rock where they claim their prophet Mohammed ascended into heaven on a "night journey". Fittingly, on the right wall of the front entrance into the Dome is an image that looks like the devil's face. About 10 years ago, this diabolic picture emerged in the natural marble. They try to cover it up with a green booth but can still be seen. The Muslim stewards of the site have systematically tried to destroy or cover overall evidence that this site was a Jewish holy site long before they arrived in Jerusalem. Some even go so far as to deny a Jewish Temple was ever here.
    Read more