Satellite
  • Day 4

    Tel Dan

    May 10, 2019 in Israel ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    Tel Dan is located in northern Israel on the Lebanon Border. Three Biblical events took place at Tel Dan.
    Genesis 14:13-16 records that Abraham traveled from Hebron to Dan to rescue his nephew Lot. Tradition says Abraham passed through the Canaanite Gate of the Three Arches in Dan. Because of this, the gate has been named "Abraham's Gate". The nearly 4,000-year-old arches of the gate are believed to be the oldest ever found in Israel.
    The tribe of Dan's original inheritance recorded in Joshua 19:47 was filled with Philistines and it was hard for the Danites to drive them out. So they went up to little brother Naphtali's inheritance in the north, attacked the Canaanite city of Lesham with the sword and burned down the city. Judges 18:28-29 tells us then the Danites rebuilt the city and settled there. They named it Dan after their ancestor Dan, who was born to Israel—though the city used to be called Laish. (or Leshem as it was called in Joshua).
    The Israelite Dan Gate is where the men of the city would gather at the city entrance and the king would judge.
    Jeraboam, the first king of the northern kingdom of Israel, set up golden calves in Dan and Bethel to keep the people from going to Jerusalem to worship. 1 Kings 12:26-33 records the place where the golden calf was worshiped was called a High Place. Here pagan priests performed animal sacrifices to pagan gods. The metal frame is a reconstruction of the dimensions of the high place.
    Read more