Satellite
  • Day 14

    Friday morning, April 20

    April 20, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    The temperature has dropped by at least 30 degrees overnight. It is very cool and windy. Back into jeans and sweaters and jackets!

    There is a lighthouse about 1.5 miles from here, within the park. It is open to the public. We bike there, taking a 1.6 km hilly leaf covered bike path. Challenging for the legs, for sure! I fall once, but no harm done!

    $2:00 each gets us in, and we have a long conversation with the volunteer there. He and his wife are from Illinois. They volunteer here regularly, in exchange for a free campsite and a small stipend. This year they have been here for 6 months, helping to repair the damage from Matthew and Irma. He is full of information about the park, the lighthouse, the surrounding area, barrier islands, etc. He takes our photos, and then we climb the 167 steps to the top of the lighthouse. There is a landing every 20 steps with information boards so we stop to read. Lots of interesting info about the lives of lighthouse keepers and their families.

    It is very windy at the top, but what a view! On a clear day, you can see 40 miles off into the horizon!

    We descend, and tour the grounds. Again, more interesting info about lighthouses and their keepers.

    We bike home on the road this time. Much more level and easier to navigate than the path!
    Read more