Satellite
  • Day 3

    Muscat, Oman

    January 25, 2017 in Oman ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    Yesterday was the first of our two days in Muscat which is the capital of Oman 🇴🇲.
    I took myself off for a walk on my own, as Sheila didn't want to get off, which is the norm nowadays as she can't walk far, and the lads didn't bother either deciding instead to take advantage of the half empty ship.
    Anyway, back to my walk. I decided to walk in the back streets instead of the usual well trodden path of the Corniche and the Mutrah Souq.
    Now the souq is well worth a visit, but I've been before, so fancied a change.
    To be honest there's not a lot to see off the beaten track, as every mosque was barred to non muslims.
    Which was a bit disappointing as although I'm not religious, I do appreciate the beauty and history of the buildings. But every one had a sign saying non muslims not allowed.
    I did come across an interesting cemetery though, and some nice buildings.
    But as is usual in most cities around the world the back streets are quite run down.
    Anyway I circled around back to the corniche and crossed over to walk along by the sea wall.
    There are some lovely views of the harbour, and you can see Riyam Park, and the huge incense burner that stands on the headland over looking the town.
    Then you look over the sea wall and down on to the small sandy beach, and you see the litter, I'm sorry to say that the beach is strewn with hundreds of plastic bags and bottles.
    I'm afraid that the mystical, romantic, Muscat of the travel brochures is obviously only in the private resorts and hotels like the Al Bustan.
    Ironically there are signs up by the beach banning beach fishing, saying that this is to keep the beach clean! Sorry guys the ban is not working.
    Read more