Satellite
  • Day 25

    Art Gallery, Granville Is, Gastown

    October 14, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Today we arrived on a rainy and windy Vancouver. My family and I had lunch at the airport and waited for 11am as we were too early to check-in at our accommodation.

    We took a cab to our AirBnB host's suburb and we were thoroughly excited that the streets were lined with trees bearing russet and goldenrod leaves and even more delighted that there were a couple of bright red maple trees just standing outside our home for the next few days.

    Our ensuite unit was still being cleaned when we got there but they were kind enough to let us leave our luggages so we could further explore their city. When we arrived there was a furry black cat that welcomed us and it didn't take long for my sister to drop her bags and offer some affectionate response to the warm gesture.

    My good friend from university days, Blair, suggested for us to have afternoon tea at the Vancouver Art Gallery. From our accommodation we walked towards the nearest subway station. On the way there was a drizzle here and there but we were enjoying the sights and sounds of Cambie Street. Apparently the same street goes all the way into downtown Vancouver.

    It was a packed day in the art gallery as well as in the cafe. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our orders. Blair had to miss out on the afternoon tea, but when she was able to join us she ended up taking us to Granville Island. My family and I were touched that she turned up with a car rental so we can get to our destination comfortably. When we got to Granville Island, there were exclusive parking spots labelled car2go, and we were stunned at how easy it was to use their system. Unfortunately I was not aware that that was the last time we were going to see that car so my little bag of Australian goodies for her was left inside for the next user to find.

    Granville Island was very touristy. It was getting even more wet and cool outside and so, we had to keep indoors, otherwise, there would have been so much to see. We passed by a broom shop (yes, they had Harry Potter's Thunderbolt), and a metal art work shop (with live demonstration). Then we reached the market area. There we had some calamari and chips while looking out the harbour, and later, did some window shopping around the artisan shops. It was surreal being able to sit beside an amazing friend and relive our university days while being able to bring each other up to date on each other's lives.

    We then took the Aqua Bus to Yale town and walked our way towards Gastown. The Aqua Bus was of intimate size--it allowed about ten passengers. It reminded me of the ferry boat that crossed the Mactan channel that I used to traverse back when coming home from University.

    Then we got to the steam clock. It was an interesting contraption: a well maintained relic of that era--the cogwheel and gears were fascinating to look at as they turned and interacted with each other. Not far from the clock was a Starbucks, and it was there my sister met her friends.

    As we were all together, we then tried to locate a place to have dinner but because it was Saturday night, every place we turned to were full. Finally, we were able to eat at a Teppanyaki place. Blair and I shared a 3-course-meal for two which completely filled us. The thin beef cuts, scallops and salmon were very delicious, and everything had a touch of butter! The chefs were thoroughly dexterous and efficient.

    When we were finished, Blair had to go home first. Our time together felt very inadequate as there was still so much to talk about. I hope we will meet again soon.

    My sister's friends, Rhodalene and Aivic, were generous to us: they drove us back to our place then even shared some of their bottled water. It was a real joy to see them both and Blair thrive and pursuing their goals in Vancouver.
    Read more