Satellite
  • Day 26

    Last Full Day

    March 16, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Talk about good timing! My temporary passport was ready to pick up this morning and then back out to explore once more. Today's my last full day in Buenos Aires (though I'm sure I will be back at some point!) I'm getting quite comfortable with the buses and metro =) By now, the security guards at the embassy also know me haha.

    After picking up my passport, I head to the UN Plaza nearby to get a few photos of the Floralis Generica, a large silver tulip installation. There are a few busloads of tourists, but otherwise not crowded. Next the planetarium to check it out, except I forgot the presentation would be in Spanish. Oops, still fun though!

    The mish mash of the day continued with checking things off my list before I had to go home. Popped over to the Cathedral to see where Pope Francis resided, then a long walk to the bus station to arrange my transport to EZE tomorrow. From there, a long walk through various neighborhoods to pick up chocolate and amazing ice cream from Rapa Nui. Their chocolate is from Bariloche, Argentina and came highly recommended. After sampling various flavors in my travels, I went for good old vanilla and chocolate this time. Must admit, they were divine and definitely some of the best ice cream I've ever had.

    Onwards to El Ateneo (still on foot, yes I love walking!) a famous fancy bookstore that was transformed from a theatre. It's interior is so grand as the seats have been removed, replaced with rows upon rows of bookshelves. You can tell who the visitors are as everyone freezes on every level in multiple spots, snapping away. On what used to be the stage area is a cafe where you can sit down for coffee and dessert. A grand piano takes a spot in the corner, for live music sessions that I"m sure are super cool.

    More wandering through the neighborhoods and various main drags, I forget their names now. Everything the architecture is simply stunning.
    Read more