Satellite
  • Day 3

    Touristy Things and Not

    July 28, 2018 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Fresh after my street photography workshop, it was on my own for the rest of the day. Returning close to my hotel, I decided to visit the Garden of Dreams first as it was close. The entrance fee is only 200 rupees ($2US roughly) and you can also purchase wifi for 50 rupees hourly.

    The garden isn’t large but it’s idyllic. As a morning shower hovered above, I sought shelter under a gazebo to hang out, watch the rain and wait it out. A few other people joined me while others huddled under umbrellas and other shelter points.

    Next, off to find Freak Street, a former hippie area that today is mostly small restaurants and shops. It’s just past Durbar Square though I did get a little turned around before finding it. My hopes of finding Ganesh Restaurant (as noted on Wikitravel) weren’t to be as I couldn’t quite find it, nor Snowman Bakery for cakes. Oh well, on with the walk and back in the direction of the hotel.

    I decided to forego my map app for the time being since I knew the general direction to head in. It’s nice to just wander random streets at times and I found myself on the backstreets where locals came and went minding their stalls, chatting with friends and children roam free. When I came to the river though, I realized I hadn’t quite gone the right way.

    No worries though as a map consult reoriented me, taking me onto different back streets before making it back onto a main road leading back to Thamel.

    Thamel for those unfamiliar is the tourist district with lots of shops aimed at tourists but there’s not much in terms of sights. The Asan market and Durbar Square is a close walk but the main temples are further out.

    Close to the hotel, I stopped in at Gaia Restaurant for momo’s before a quick rest for tonight’s rickshaw tour.
    Read more