Satellite
  • Day 18

    Egypt in Review

    January 26, 2019 in Egypt ⋅ 🌫 17 °C

    What a past 2ish weeks in Egypt. It jumped out of my bucket list just a short 2 months ago. I'd always wanted to visit but the 2011 revolution put those plans on hold. I'm very glad I've been visited and seen these monuments that survived through time. Photos really don't do it justice, you just have to be here.

    This was the first time I've travelled with Intrepid. Granted, it's different than G, but the trip was fine. I'm curious to try the next level up (Original) to see how it compares. One of the reasons for going with Intrepid was the itinerary. This is the one of very tours that really takes you everywhere but the desert. I hadn't heard of Hurghada before, and it was a pleasant day by the sea. Alexandria was really the one I was hoping to have included rather than tacking a very expensive option.

    I didn't shop a lot, not that I usually do, but that's ok. I navigated the crazy traffic and shooed of hasslers. I got to taste some yummy Egyptian food and the best falafels ever. Yes, ever!!! I've eaten too many to count. We've taken the overnight train, overnighted on a felucca. We didn't need a river cruise boat. I've enjoyed all the temples and pyramids, Karnak, Abu Simbel and Luxor were the best. And of course, getting to see the pyramids and the Sphinx!

    In Cairo, I did wander on my own despite friends telling me not to. A few worrying moments, not security but if I were getting ripped off, but everything turned out fine. Mohammed Ali mosque was stunning and Al Azhar Park was simply the best. If you have qualms about this country, it's pretty safe I think. But do go in an organized group, especially if you're female. And if you're lucky like us, you might even make a few Arabic speaking friends who help with communicating with the locals.
    Read more