Satellite
  • Day 18

    Welcome to Cyprus

    January 26, 2019 in Cyprus ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Perhaps not as much in your face ancient history as the other countries on this trip, but Cyprus has been around for a long time. Ancient settlements dot the island, and markings in the Troodos Mountains show this island was once under the sea.

    After just over 2 fairly intense ancient sightseeing in Egypt, I've got 5 days of peace and relaxation visiting a friend from previous travels in Cyprus. Unlike other destinations, I haven't done much research at all, just enough to build a simple itinerary: Larnaca, Nicosia, and Limassol. The last being a base for Troodos, Kourion and Paphos.

    There's a direct flight from Cairo to Larnaca, but I missed the morning arrival that I wanted, so took the long way (and a very early flight) via Athens instead. My friend picked me up from the airport and our first stop was coffee at the beach. Caffe Nero is right by the water, and it's large outdoor patio is simply divine in relaxing and just chilling on a Saturday morning.

    We went to a few other sites as well including the Salt Lake and the local mosque. In the evening, we strolled around the old town and along the beach before checking on Larnaca Castle.

    Foodwise I was in for a treat. My friend and I were spending the night at her parents' place, and her mom made a lovely lunch for us of chicken, fried potatoes and salad. Her cheesecake is also simply divine. For dinner, it was off to a local restaurant with more food than we could finish, hot and cold mezzes along with mostly meat dishes covered the table faster than we could enjoy it. And dessert? A milk-custard in filo dough that I am still thinking of while writing this up in Tel Aviv =)
    Read more