Satellite
  • Day 28

    Surprises Around the Sea of Galilee

    February 5, 2019 in Palestine ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    We've been moving around quite a bit on this tour, spending a few hours here, a few hours there, and then overnighting in a 3rd location. Today would follow the same, but also include 2 surprise stops as some of us were long time G Adventures travellers who'd been given VIP status. So what perks have we got?

    First up, a 45 minute cruise on the Sea of Galilee. Completely unexpected, yet one of the best parts of today. It was really great being on the water and feeding the birds. We shared our group with other travellers and watched as they danced to Hava Nagila. Prior to the dance, they also played Christian music I think. Overall a low key but fun time.

    Our cruise departed from Ein Gev, a kibbutz in the Golan Heights. A kibbutz is a self sustaining community who have their own industries like farming and share everything. We walked through a dairy farm where many cows were having their breakfast, or maybe it was lunch.

    Next a short drive to Capernaum, which was the home of Jesus ofter he was rejected from Nazareth. This was the home of St Peter whom he would stay with. You'll also find the White Synagogue here as well, and an octagonal church.

    Our 2nd surprise of the day was a trip to a winery for some local find tasting. The girl who ran our tasting was really nice and explained to us the various wines the make and how to look, smell and taste a wine. On our tasting list today, a white, a red, and a sweet wine. The favorite seemed to be the sweet wine aka moscato. I know it was mine and I was sorely tempted to buy 2 bottles. One to take home and one to consume before going home ;)

    After lunch, we made our way to Tabgha, where Jesus is said to have performed the miracle of feeding 5000 men with 5 bread and 2 fish. The church is fairly simple, but there it's peaceful and you'll find some nice mosaics. Then we were off to the Mount of Beautitudes where Jesus proclaimed the 8 beautitudes to his disciples. The mount is serenely set above the Sea of Galilee, and there's a path you can walk down to the sea (or lake really) as well.

    Tonight's stop: Jericho, in Palestine. It would be a 2.5 hour drive through the Jordan Valley which was very green and lush. Our hotel apparently once hosted presidents, important VIP and Jewish Israeli's who came here to gamble, but that all changed after 2000.
    Read more