Satellite
  • Day 40

    Istanbul Reprised and onto Bolu

    February 17, 2019 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ -1 °C

    Went on an orientation walk this morning with my tour group. We passed many sites I've already been but I still learned new things like short cuts and wandered on new streets. We also visited Suleymaniye Mosque which was on my list to visit when we were to return in 2 weeks. Like those who've been there and the Blue Mosque, I did like this one much better and found it prettier with the tiles outside and the low light fixture inside. We also got a gorgeous view of the other side of the Golden Horn from the gardens.

    Lunch was a quick affair, and we got to try a delicious cag kebab. Normally a dish from Eastern Turkey, the owner had moved to Istanbul where we got to stop by. In this style, thin slices of lamb are skewered and cooked. You then wrap some pita around the meat (still on the skewer) to slide it off. Add some salad if you wish and eat it, all wrapped inside the bread.

    Back at the hotel, we got into our van and started our drive towards Bolu for our night stop en route to Cappadocia. Driving through Istanbul was very cool as we went further north in the city to cross the Bosphorus Bridge. At once I knew I needed to revisit this magical city one day and explore what this part of the city had to offer now that we'd explored the neighborhoods by the Golden Horn.

    As we left urban Istanbul aside, the landscape changed as we climbed in altitude. Mountains, and even snow lined our route to the city of Bolu. There's not much there, but we got to try a style of gozleme native to the region for dinner. You can opt to get it with yogurt and tomato sauce on top of cut gozleme. We also stopped for some famous Bolu chocolate. Other than that, not much to do here, but it the heights of winter, I believe this place turns into a bit of a ski resort.
    Read more