Satellite
  • Day 27

    Trapani Free Day

    November 4, 2021 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Free day in Trapani, that included our Covid test in the late morning. I headed out on my own to Tonnare Tipi, the ruins of an old tuna facility. It's about a 25 minute walk from our hotel and I had just enough time to go and come back so that the morning wouldn't be wasted. The site is a bit eerie being there myself but it was nice to have the space all to me and wander/check it out on my own time. There's a little bit of garbage from other people who've been, but I really liked how nature is slowly taking back the structure with the greenery amongst the rocks.

    Later, we ended up taking the cable car up to the hilltop town of Erice. The ride up was beautiful as we were awarded with a view over Trapani and the surrounding area including the distinguishable marshes and Egladi Islands. Trapani really is a summer destination, as Erice was fairly cool in temperature and the streets mostly empty. Our other option for the day, Favignana Island would also have been more beautiful in the summer sun.

    One more trek out for the day as I went for a walk to the opposite direction of the salt marshes, this time, making my way to the end of the peninsula here. The winds definitely picked up, but a nice walk through the old city center before rejoining the group for dinner.

    Tonight, we headed to Versi di Rosso for a tasting menu paired with wine. As usual, yours truly didn't partake in the wine. Instead the owners offered up a passito (sweet wine) for me. It wasn't as sweet as I'd like, but still nice. The menu was 3 courses, including tuna crostinis, fava bean/shrimp soup, gnocchi, and cassata cake for dessert. My favorite was the first tuna crostini that was paired an orange.
    Read more