Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Hildegard and Castles: busy on the Rhine

    June 16, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We started the day with some time in the Museum in Bingen learning all about Hildegard of Bingen. She seems like quite a character, a prolific writer and significant political player. Next to the museum was a small herb garden with all the medicinal plants used in her time, and described in her books.

    Then we set off along the river again, it's this section of the river that is famous for the castles.

    There is a rail line down each side of the river with long freight trains going in both direction all day, as well, there are freight barges going up and down on the river, against the backdrop of the castles on the ridge tops. Amazing!

    There are no bridges across the river between Mainz and Koblenz, about 200k by bike, so as well as the tourists boats and barges going up and down there are also cross river ferries. It's busy out there.

    The map of the route has interesting advertising, the anti inflammatory drug Voltaren is advertised on the cover. A helpful message for tired cyclists.

    "Rest day" tomorrow, time to go and visit the local castle.
    Read more