Satellite
  • Day 33

    A story of rebuilding

    June 30, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We only had a short time in Dresden so we decided on a walking tour. Our guide had all the info on the history going back 800 years. The key historic sites are all packed into a very small area, an area that was reduced to rubble and rebuilt, so what looks like an old building is actually a reconstructed building and you can see where old stones have been used a patchwork with the new stone. The rebuilding of this church was only completed in about 2005. It was left as rubble throughout the GDR era.
    The mural depicts all the Saxon kings (Dresden is the capital of the state of Saxony) going back 800 years, one of the longest continuous dynasties in Europe. This one is George the Strong, clearly the guides favourite. The mural is made of porcelain tiles. Most were saved during the war but you can pick out the replacements.

    There was quite a bit of rain around over the last few days, although we missed most of it the guide said the river had risen about half a metre overnight. We could see the mark on the bridge of the flood of 2002, were the river was up 9 metres.

    Trabi cars are a bit of a gimmick, the guide said they never rusted because they were made of a type of cardboard. They were made in Saxony.

    Not sure why there is a restaurant called Ayers Rock here, we didn't investigate.

    I didn't really get any good photos here, it was hard to get a good perspective.

    The washing machine was very welcome, the apartment in a great location. It makes a nice change to spread out a bit, and cook a couple of meals. The supermarket is about 100 metres away.
    Read more