Satellite
  • Day 34

    On to the Czech Republic

    July 1, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We headed out from Dresden, just out of the city centre there was a big second hand market along the river bank, we didn't stop, no room for extra stuff. At first the river still had wide grassy flood plains.

    We saw this flood marker not far from Dresden, the very top one is the 2002 flood.

    Gradually the river valley narrowed with dramatic cliffs. We crossed the river a couple of times during the day, and had an ice cream in Bad Schandau, to mark our last town in Germany. Shortly after crossing back from Bad Schandau we came to the border post, literally a post. We could see a much bigger border crossing on the road on the other side of the river. Suddenly we couldn't read any of the signs. But we know our bike route is route 2 so as long as we follow the '2' signs we'll get to Prague.

    Our day from Dresden to Decin was probably the one of the most beautiful of the trip. The area near the border is national park on both sides, Saxony Switzerland on the German side and Bohemia Switzerland on the Czech side. Some one thought the mountains looked like Switzerland. Luckily the bike path beside the river is mostly flat.
    Read more