Satellite
  • Day 24

    Are we there yet?

    June 21, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Yes of course we are!!!
    Our last day was just perfect. We were a little daunted by the distance, about 28 kilometres, the longest yet, but it wasn’t so hard. The weather was sunny but cool, perfect for walking and the route varied.

    We started early and headed for Grosmont where the local station is a out of Harry Potter, old fashioned level crossing gates and a beautiful little station. They still run steam trains on the regular route from here to Whitby sometimes. Today the steam train was in for service so we missed it.
    Then it was up to the penultimate Moor. The route up was on a road but incredibly steep, a grade sign on the way up said 33%. Try riding up that Dianne.

    From Sleights Moor we could look down on Whitby. Then it was down to Little Beck and a walk through Little Beck Woods passing the Hermitage, a large hollowed-out rock, then Falling Foss, a little waterfall and coming out to Midge Hall. Midge Hall is an old game keepers cottage beside the Beck that now runs a little tea room. More cream tea anyone. Luckily the midges weren’t biting.

    Then onto Sneaton Low Moor. We had our lunch stop looking down to Whitby, the North Sea getting closer.

    Finally we were onto the cliff top path, for the last 5 kilometres into Robin Hood’s Bay. So we finished as we started, along a cliff top.

    Robin Hood’s Bay is tucked around a headland so we were almost there before we got a glimpse of it. The end in sight!

    The path brought us to the top of this little holiday village, right past our B&B, so had a quick pit stop, met our host, dropped our bags and headed down the steep narrow road to the “beach”. The tide was out so it wasn’t the most attractive beach but we duly performed the ritual of tossing our pebbles into the North Sea. On the way down we had tied a Coast to Coast tea towel to a walking pole. We lowered the flag on the beach, folded it and gave it to Allison our leader.

    The final ritual is a beer at the Bay Hotel and signing their book. The beer? A Wainwright’s of course.

    We had dinner with Group One and swapped stories about the trials and tribulations of walking the Coast to Coast.

    We now have a rest day before heading off tomorrow. Anyone like to go for a walk? Last post tomorrow.
    Read more