Satellite
  • Day 19

    Day 19 Rottnest Island

    May 2, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    To start off the day today we drove down to the Fremantle port where we waited for the Rottnest island ferry to arrive. We put our bikes on the ferry along with all our swimming & snorkelling gear, our snacks and other items. It was a half an hour ride to the island. The island is known for its huge population of quokkas which are like mini wallabies.
    After unloading our gear we started on our ride around the island. We stopped at some old army barracks and lots of bays and beaches. The views were amazing, but the tracks were not so amazing … there were lots of hills which really got your legs working. To keep the ride entertaining we met a lot of quokkas along the way. They were so small and very hungry.
    To give our legs a break there was a museum in the middle of the island. The museum told us about the islands' history and about the animals that live here.
    Just around the corner from the museum, in the Settlement area, are lots of restaurants and little shops to get some snacks. We went to Subway but we found out that we weren't the only creatures who liked Subway... there were seagulls everywhere and the seagulls were not scared of us. They really wanted those subway sandwiches so we had to guard our subways with our lives. This was not an easy task but in the end, with only a few bits of missing ham and turkey, we had finished our subways.
    After lunch we went to one of the beaches to go snorkelling. I didn't snorkel because it was very cold and windy but the rest of the family did. It turned out that they were swimming for longer than they were supposed to so we had to rush back to the docking bay to catch our ferry back to Fremantle.
    Today was fun. I look forward to heading into Perth tomorrow.
    Read more