Satellite
  • Day 57

    Day 57 Darwin

    June 9, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We started the day by driving to a Greek festival. There was lots of different food like: fresh calamari, octopus, chicken and lamb souvlaki as well as slushies and milkshakes. There was also a stage in the middle of the festival where they played music and had traditional dancing.
    After the festival we drove up to Stokes Wharf, to the Royal Flying Doctors Service Visitor Centre. Inside we learnt about the bombing of Darwin and the Royal Flying Doctors Service. There was a virtual reality mini show, two 3D movies with holograms and a real Royal Flying Doctors Service plane that we could play in. One of the displays had a window of 1942 and an aerial view of the bombing of Darwin Harbour that came to life showing the bombing and aircraft fire from the first raid.
    After the visitor centre we visited a camping, hunting, and military store called 'Mitchells'. We saw hunting knives, crossbows, bows and arrows, military equipment including helmets and masks and camping gear. Ryley bought a tank drivers helmet with goggles and spent every cent of his pocket money.
    Next we returned back to the caravan park for a splash in the pool and to give Ryley and Dad a haircut.
    Later in the afternoon we drove out to the Mindil Beach Sunset Market. Tomorrow we will go for a bike ride around Darwin and maybe visit the Darwin wave pool.
    Read more