Satellite
  • Day 2

    NCL Spirit ship change of route

    February 8, 2020 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 50 °F

    Today, we got word from NCL that because of the virus in Hong Kong and China, the ship was being rerouted back to the Mediterranean area. Our cruise is completely changing directions and ports. GOOD NEWS: We will get a 50% refund. Instead of arriving in Singapore and then Tokyo, we will now be arriving in Athens. NCL offered full refund to cancel. We did not think that was an option for us.

    Prior to this, while in the Apple store in Madrid, we got word that there was a French union worker’s strike and a virus at the Marseille ship dock where the boat is getting a 100 million dollar “facelift” delaying the departure and we would not be leaving until Friday. GOOD NEWS: We get a 25% cruise refund and a 25% discount on future cruise.

    One final email noted that on this first cruise, we’ve been updated to a balcony. Finally, something going right. Maybe we can get upgraded for the rest of the the time?

    It’s kinda been a mild nightmare of such, not knowing where and when we would be traveling. We get reports here in Europe of how serious this Coronavirus is. So we were not surprised when NCL decided to redirect its ship back to the Mediterranean area. It is what it is. NCL is making major health care precautions such as no self food service and frequent sanitary wipe downs. So it should be interesting but much welcomed! We’ve done this “kinda thing before” with the “adrift at sea” event back in 2017.

    Today Glenn and I bought some masks to have in case we are quarantined. We tried several pharmacies (which were sold out), until we located them.

    Saturday we had fun as we explored the St Peter’s Basilica. We were not on a tour and we took our time.
    Read more