Satellite
  • Day 6

    Take me out to the ball game!

    February 9, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Today started with another clear blue sky and temperatures are promised to be in the upper 20s, not bad for February!

    We had a breakfast in the Jane Q restaurant at the hotel and I had a bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese whilst mum had a pastry.

    We made our way the short distance to the Dodger baseball stadium ready for our tour at 11:00 a.m. after finding somewhere to park, we headed up to the start of the tour, which gave a great view overlooking the entire stadium. The tour lasted about 90 minutes and I really enthusiastic host explain to us all sorts of things about both the Dodger team and stadium itself.

    The Dodger team started in Brooklyn and was moved over to LA in the 50s after which the current stadium was built. It's one of the largest baseball stadiums in the country and has an obstructed views from every seat.

    It's clear that baseball has spawned a myriad of stats with most valued player and the person who has hit the most home runs in a season and the person who's caught the most balls and so on and so on. The talk us through the refurbished executive suites and also into the dugout and around the edge of the stadium. The stadium itself seems to look much smaller when you're in it at ground level compared to when you are overlooking from the top tier. We learnt that the seats of various colours representing elements of California, including the beach, the ocean and other things, which I can't now remember!

    On the tour we saw the entrance I must have walked through when I was here all those years ago at junior high school band night and it brought back some lovely memories. What I don't think either of us should realised was that the year that we were at a game the Dodgers won the world series. Maybe that bodes well for them for the 2022 season.

    The tour finished at about 12:30 and we left. Glad that we'd made the effort to do the tour on this occasion.
    Read more