Satellite
  • Day 9

    The Big Sur

    February 12, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We need to cover about 250 miles today to get San Francisco and after I stop at the seal beach we continue driving north. The road became extremely windy and very up and down, but the views themselves were amazing.

    The sea was sparkling blue and the sky without clouds.

    We stop briefly to admire the view and to see one of the viaduct structures that have been built as part of the road construction before continuing on to our next stop which was Pfeiffer beach.

    A couple of miles off the main road and down a very windy bumpy road we came to a car park and a short walk later. Found ourselves on a really pretty beach with a couple of coves and a large rock with a cave that goes right through to the ocean. The beach is also famous for some of the purple sand that is being eroded down from the rocks above the beach. Mum had a quick paddle and then when we're back to the car to continue our drive.

    After another hour or so we passed through Big Sur after which this part of the journey is named, although actually appeared to be just a handful of houses and visitor shops. We continued on to Monterey.
    Read more