Satellite
  • Day 5

    Schwerin town and Schloss

    April 19, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    We had breakfast at 9:00 and then were soon after out to explore what the town had to offer. We've had another lovely day of weather with clear blue skies. Although early on it was pretty chilly and a bit windier than yesterday.

    We walked the 20 minutes into the main town and through to the other side where the Schloss stands, on an Island in the lake. The Schloss is a building that looks a bit like a fairytale castle with glistening towers and was first built in the 15th century, although it has clearly had a fair bit of modernising since then. It's also the building which houses the Mecklenburg regional parliament.

    We paid the entrance fee and spent about an hour wandered through the rooms which have already been renovated. Some were very opulent whilst others much less so.

    Having seen the inside we then walked around the beautifully kept gardens before heading further out to the parkland area behind which offers some dramatic views back to the castle.

    We returned to the castle and had a drink in the little restaurant before walking back into the town and then returning to the hotel.
    Read more