Satellite
  • Day 5

    Atlantic storm arising

    February 6, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    It has been raining all night long. The rising gale forced the street lamp and the palm tree into a shadow Tango on the walls of our bedroom and grant us a restless night.

    So we're kind of slow starting out into gusty showers hitting the Madeiran north coast.
    Some of the backroads we drive along show marks of the storm...rocks and mud sliding down from the mountain ranges.

    The reward is fantastic though - huge waves are running up the Rocky banks of Porto da Cruz and fill the air with spray and thunder.
    We take cover from the rain in the halls of the famous historic local rum distillery.

    Later, at the harbor Cafe & Bar again we are pleased by the friendly and supportive service. After all we are the only folks that do not want to take cover under the umbrella and rather sit out in the open to witness the power of the incoming surf. And although instead of ordering a decent meal we stick to Poncha, coffee and cake they make us feel welcome.

    Anke is glad that due to the storm the local cable car is out of service and we have no chance to swing down to the coast today.

    Enough is enough and after a short hike and more incoming showers we decide to corner back to our "humid camp" along those endlessly winding backroads (since we try to avoid the boring tunnel passages).

    Just before we reach our home we pass that small restaurant we've been trying to get into the last couple of days (just to find it closed all the time). This time we realize that the parking lot is full of cars and the place is open.
    As we try to get into the bar the owner tells us that the restaurant is open for the members of the family dinner only. Being a little disappointed we decide to stay for couple of minutes to enjoy the cheerful atmosphere. Enough time to convince the friendly elderly lady to come around from behind the counter and to explain to us that they could serve us some pork ribs and potatoes. We just have to put up with a small table up front at the bar (all that in French - which we don't speak - and with the help of a popular smartphone translator).
    Of course we agree, enjoy a very special meal and the family atmosphere.

    Later, as we want to pay our bill the owner charges us for the drinks only, since the food was a leftover from the family feast.

    People surprise us day by day and confirm that friendliness harvests friends, again and again.
    Read more