Satellite
  • Day 4

    Eat, Drink and enjoy the Culture

    July 27, 2017 in Sweden ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    You have to love hotel breakfasts. Travelling for work can be lonely and boring - the saving grace is often only the a magnificent breakfast buffet. Usually, an overworked head waiter meets you at the "please wait to be seated" post, takes you to the worst seat in the room, pours you a coffee, explains nothing then heads off never to be seen again apart from darting around the room. Here its free and easy. Heaps of food options and everyone is so helpful.

    After a look around the local area we took a tram then a bus to the Kaknäs Tower. This is breaking the golden rule of restaurants, the better the view and higher the dining room, means the food is overpriced and service is lacking. This was not the case here, great views of Stockholm [so flat like many big cities - compared with Hobart], good value food and excellent service. Getting there wasn't so easy. On the bus we were so busy talking, we missed our stop. Realising this Grace asked the driver and he agreed we had missed it and so we decided to get off and catch a bus back to where we needed to go. Waiting, waiting and who should turn up? The same bus and bus driver on the return trip. Laughs all around.

    In the evening we had the pleasure of a Mid Summer party held for Grace and friends as she had missed the party on the correct date because she was in Hobart. We went to Osterskar which was about a 1 1/2 hour drive out of Stockholm - a beautiful location and a lovely house on the water's edge. We were served all the traditional foods and of course Schnapps ... including a "moon shine"version. Lots of singing, including a fantastic performance by Manuelle and Marjan of the song they wrote that won Manuelle the Eurovision Song Contest for Slovenia!!

    Coming home, we were trying to catch the 12:30am tram - rushing a bit when Mary had a fall. She fell face first into the pavement. One of the worries about travelling - being injured. Luckily Mary just has bad bruising on her elbow nose and knees - a bit of TLC will fix.

    Might need to slow down a bit tomorrow - going to Manuelle's concert tomorrow night - that should be a highlight.

    BTW, had a Pop House beer - I'm not big fan of craft beers - but the Mariestads I had for lunch was very good - much like off tap draft beers back home.

    Cheers
    Read more