Satellite
  • Day 6

    Those bloody Danes ...

    July 29, 2017 in Sweden ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    I think we have set the record for being last at breakfast. While staff are clearing the buffet each day, Mary & I have been trying to grab the last remaining remnants of fine Swedish breakfast fare. One thing is - we are consistent, and we do need to pace ourselves, not being as young as we used to be...

    The was a light shower today when we went to see the Vasa Museum. Luckily Mary took her new water proof jacket - it worked perfectly. Mary was able to stand in the rain for 40 minutes as the queue moved towards the door, While I stood under cover in the foyer [noice]. People in Sweden do not talk to strangers in a queue, so Mary had to line up in silence - I couldn't stand that so of thing.

    What a story the Vasa is ... built in 1626 over three years by 400 men using over 1,000 oak trees. A beautiful ship that only ever sailed 1,300 metres before it keeled over and sunk in the harbour. Apparently, the danish captain or the danish designers or the danish builders were to blame, however, the Swedish King agreed to everything, so no-one was held responsible.

    300 years later she was raised [in 1961] almost completely intact - there are low salt levels in the Baltic Sea - so even the sails, after 300 years under water were intact. A good museum - I really enjoyed it.

    After lunch, and a very enjoyable Mohawk IPA, it was time to go to the ABBA Museum. Not expected to be my thing, but something Grace and Mary would enjoy. As it turned out I really had a great time. It was fascinating to hear the stories behind ABBA and they way they made their music. I even tried to sing their songs - way out of tune as you could imagine, but I tried.

    It was always going to be an early night this Friday [we had been up until 2am most nights before]. There is an Irish Pub around the corner with good wholesome food - a bit American in fact, and I rounded off the evening with a couple of Bishops Fingers - life is good.

    Tomorrow after listening to the football [Geelong 123 defeated Carlton 58], we are off on a cruise around the Archipelago and a visit to the old city. Then we head off to London early on Sunday.

    Cheers
    Read more