Satellite
  • Day 20

    Home of a whisky giant ..

    August 12, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Today was a day of sightseeing around Aryshire in Scotland. We took the scenic route to the coast - must admit it was a bit rainy and foggy - but good farming country and prosperous looking farms. There are many golf courses around here and yes, the grass is unbelievably green.

    We drove through some small country lanes where very wealthy people have built huge mansions on what looks like 5 acre blocks - lots of trees and privacy. For lunch we stopped at the Piersland House Hotel.

    This hotel has a fascinating history and architecture which makes it well worth stopping off in for a spot of food or an overnight stay. The house was built in 1895 for the grandson of the founder of Johnny Walker - yes, the famous whisky brand, and the owner served as managing director of the company.

    Driving back there was plenty of traffic on the winding roads, got caught behind a truck and so had a slow drive home. A great dinner with Rosemary & John then home for a family catchup, a few beers and a few whiskys and a promise from Mary that we would be up and away by 10am tomorrow.

    So its off to Manchester tomorrow to catch up with rellies ... really looking forward to that.

    Cheers
    Read more