Satellite
  • Day 30

    Married a publican's great granddaughter

    August 22, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Mary's great grandmother sold the Great Stone Inn in 1901. Each trip to England we pay it a visit, say hello to the locals and have a few drinks and a meal. Mary's dad was born in Rose Cottage, which is next door to the pound which in turn is next door to the pub. Across the road from the pub is the church and behind the pub is the school. I guess Mary's dad had everything he needed within easy reach.

    We put flowers on Mary's relatives graves and had a wander around - very peaceful and relaxing.

    Speaking of graves, we also made our pilgrimage to Robin and Andy Gibb's graves ... at St Mary's church in Thame.

    The B&B where we are staying, Scotsgrove House, was mentioned in the domesday book of 1086, sort of an audit of the assets of England won by William the Conqueror. So, it is old - perhaps 1100 years, an dthe church, where the Gibbs are buried, is at least 900 years old, but they think there are older ruins beneath. The Church near the Great Stone Inn was built by the Norman's in the 12th century - but is also the site of Roman ruins from who knows when.

    Mary and I love this history and knowing that people have lived and worshipped here for so long - we did brag that our church, St James has celebrated its 100 year anniversary this year - still a long way to go.

    Tomorrow its the local street market, a 7 mile walk on an old disused train line and then to explore the Midsummer Murder locations around town.

    Cheers,
    Read more