Satellite
  • Day 41

    Venice is made for Italians

    September 2, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Yesterday we explored the San Marco area of Venice, closest to our Hotel - we still got lost deliberately and saw plenty of interesting sights.

    Today we headed towards the Rialto Bridge. If you haven't been to Venice, you must.

    There's no traffic in the streets apart form the occasional porter with a trolley load of suitcases. The street/lanes are generally wide enough for about 5 people to walk side by side, but on many occasions only 3 people can pass. There is shop after shop after shop. And get this, no "doof doof" music in the shops. The lanes are paved in well trodden stones - not many rough cobble stones - it is warm and friendly. The Italians always greet you with great happiness and love a laugh.

    Its not far to the Rialto Bridge, you could walk it in about 15 minutes I reckon - but rushing is not the way to do it, you must take your time, look around you and above, watch the Gondolas navigate tricky bends in the canals and enjoy yourself.

    Yes there are tourists everywhere - its packed - but that's okay, as I said, no need to rush, just go at your own pace. Having said that, I didn't enjoy the big crowds in St Marks square - too much bumping into people and trying to avoid being part of their 'selfies'.

    The Rialto bridge has 3 sets of stairs, one on each side and one up the middle. Between the stairs are two rows of apartments. Covering the bridge are hundreds of people trying to take photos of themselves and their glamorous partners.

    We bought more gifts to take home, sat and had a drink - Mary had a Aperol Spritz. It was very nice, refreshing and not too sweet.

    For the evening meal we wandered down some back streets to a family restaurant. A huge rain downpour started and lasted for about 30 minutes - it was fun watching people getting soaked in the rain. For the hell of it we tried the set menu - 4 courses. First we had a cold meat platter, then a pasta dish [nice] and then ... a deep fried processed meat of some sort in bread crumbs and chips (disgusting) and then we finished with dessert, I had apple cake and Mary had Tiramisu (saving the day). The waiter said we ordered the deep fried thing - I don't think we did. Won't go back there.

    Back to our room I have bought a little bottle of Grappa - thank goodness I didn't buy a big one - not my style of drink.

    Tomorrow, although thunder storms are forecast for the afternoon [they don't last long] we will head to the island of Burano.

    Cheers,
    Read more