Satellite
  • Day 2

    Vrisič pass

    July 18, 2018 in Slovenia ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    From Kranjska Gora we drove towards Triglav national park. When you leave the city and head towards the mountains we passed the stunning Jasna lake. It’s an amazing place with beautiful reflections of the mountains in the crystal clear water. Because the sun was out and it was already getting quite hot we thought of going for a swim. It’s definitely allowed, but not a lot of people seemed to be doing it. A quick foot in the water explained why, it was freezing cold!

    From there on we continued our journey towards the Vrisič pass. It takes 25 sharp hair pin bends to reach the summit of the passage. Somewhere on our way up we passed the Ruska Kapelika. A small Russian chapel built buy Russian prisoners during the first world war. From there on it was just a couple of more turns until the summit at 1610m.

    After a great lunch we decided to start our first real hike to Mala Mojstrovka, one of the higher peaks in the area (2333m). The climb was extremely beautiful, starting in the forest and continuing in the higher mountains along small snow fields. The last part consisted of a long and spectacular klettersteig going all the way to the summit. The view was breathtaking!!
    A long gravel track, with a lot of loose rocks, brought us back down to the Vrisič pass. From start to finish the complete hike took us approximately 4h. Rewarded but a little bit tired we arrived back at the car.
    Read more