Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Soča river adventures

    July 19, 2018 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    The Soča river is one of the most famous rivers in Slovenia. It thanks its beauty to its blueish green water which is flowing fast through the deep canyons. Due to its nature as a wild mountain river it is famous for kayaking, rafting and canyoning.

    From the Vrisič pass we made our way to the small city of Soča where we found a beautiful campsite in the middle of the valley. Surrounded by the mountains and underneath some fruit trees we found ourselves a good place for the next few days.

    After exploring the area and admiring the beauty of the Soča river (and going for a quick and ice cold swim) we decide to go for some adventure. Bovec is the epicenter of wild water sports and we decided to book kayaking trip and to go for canyoning. In the early morning we met up for a small trip to the Fratarica canyon. It’s one of the most beautiful canyons in Slovenia with a moderate difficulty. With our wetsuit, harness and helmet on we were ready to go! We were lucky just to be with the two of us together with our private guide. Going down such an beautiful canyon is an amazing feeling. You slide down in blue pools or jump from small waterfalls. Our biggest vertical drop was probably a 50m waterfall where we had to rappel down. It’s a fantastic feeling and together with it you get a stunning view!
    Unfortunately our afternoon kayaking trip was a bit less spectacular. We hit the water shortly after a huge thunderstorm with a guide who was a bit overenthusiastic. It was again just the two of us but we were on an easy part of the river. The trip was nice, but not really challenging. We made it easily with some basic peddling.

    Later on we further explored the area and visited the Slap Virje waterfall (an inside tip from our canyoning guide). It’s a double waterfall with two beautiful green pools. A refreshing jump in the water was more than welcome. That evening we also went for a small hike from our campground to the Lepena valley where we found the another beautiful waterfall well hidden in the forest.
    Read more