Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Kobarid and Tolmin

    July 21, 2018 in Slovenia ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    After a stormy night on the campsite we were lucky to dry our stuff in the morning sun. Today we were heading for Kobarid.

    Once we arrived by car we went for a 40 minute hike to the Slab Kozjak waterfall. The trail takes you up the cliffs and follows the emerald green Kozjak river. A bit later we entered a deep, green and humid canyon and continued to follow the path towards a platform in front of the waterfall. Its a unique and beautiful waterfall since it’s completely hidden between impressive high rocks. It looks like you’re almost in a cave. Just before leaving we were lucky to see a team of canyoneers rapelling down the waterfall.

    That afternoon we also visited the history museum of Kobarid. During the first world war the control over the Soča river was of extreme importance. An interesting tour through the museum learned us about warfare in the mountains in extreme winter conditions.

    The same evening we headed for Tolmin where we would visit the gorges the next day. When we arrived in the city (during another thunderstorm) we noticed that the normally 3000 inhabitants big village was flooded by 12000 metal heads who were arriving for their annual festival. As a result all rooms were booked and it was hard to find a place to spend the night. Luckily we got the last room of the only hotel in the city. It was nice to sleep again in a soft bed after a couple of days in the rain.

    On Sunday we headed for the Tolmin gorges, located just inside the National Park. For the first time we had to pay a small entrance fee, but it was definitely worth it. The park consists of deep canyons with huge cliffs and a beautiful river flowing through it. The trail takes us in the canyon, close to the river, to a hot water spring and ultimately ends on top of the cliffs far above the river.

    After our visit we were on our way to our next stop Bohinj Lake.
    Read more