Satellite
  • Day 9

    Bled

    July 25, 2018 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    The lake of Bled is probably the best known touristic attraction in Slovenia. Although there are plenty of hotels surrounding the lake it remains beautiful and peaceful. The color of the water, the central island with a church and a big castle on the hill overlooking the lake make it an idillic place.
    The temperature reached over 30 degrees so one evening we decide to go for a swim in the lake. Compared to the Soča river the water was surprisingly warm.

    The next morning we visited the Vintgar gorge just outside the city of Bled. In advance I saw many beautiful pictures of the gorge and my expectations were high. When we arrived there I was a bit disappointed by the amount of tourists visiting the gorge. It felt almost like a theme park.
    A wooden path takes you down into the 1600m long canyon. The views are beautiful, but the smell of 4 different perfumes together with an occasional push of passing visitors made the experience a bit less nice. Anyhow, it remains a beautiful gorge but it’s not as unique as I imagined.

    On our way back we passed the ticket office and we were surprised to see a huge cue of people waiting to get inside. The line was almost 100m long! We praised ourselves lucky that we visited the gorge in the morning.
    Read more