Satellite
  • Day 2

    Patan Durbar Square

    May 2, 2019 in Nepal ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Back in the car and along incredibly bad roads. I don't think I will ever complain about Sydney roads again. The roads are full of huge pot holes , cars, bikes and trucks. It is also extremely dusty actually not very pleasant but that is all part of the experience.

    Patan Durbar Square is located in the center of Patan city Lalitpur and was built by the Newar People ( Newar, or Nepami, are the historical inhabitants of the Kathmandu Valley and its surrounding areas in Nepal and the creators of its historic heritage and civilisation.)

    It is one of three main ancient royal durbar squares in the Kathmandu Valley. Patan Durbar Square is the smallest of all durbar squares it is often referred to as the most beautiful of all.

    There are many temples and idols in the area. The main temples are aligned opposite of the western face of the palace. The entrance of the temples faces east, towards the palace. There is also a bell situated in the alignment beside the main temples, The Square also holds old Newari residential houses.

    The square was heavily damaged by the earthquake in April 2015 and is currently being restored.
    Read more