Satellite
  • Day 24

    Padmaja Naidu Zoological Garden

    May 24, 2019 in India ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Well this was a long drive, well most of the drive we were just sitting in the car in traffic to get to the Zoo. The guide and John slept for most of this time. The traffic is dreadful it was actually quicker to walk to most attractions but the roads are very dirty with people and cars everywhere so we go in the car until our guide suggests that we get out and walk. The Zoo was another occassion where we walked for about 7min up hill to get to there.

    Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park is quite small and is right in the centre of Darjeeling. The zoo was opened in 1958, and an average elevation of 2,134 m, is the largest high altitude zoo in India. It specializes in breeding animals adapted to alpine conditions, and has successful captive breeding programs for the snow leopard, the critically endangered Himalayan wolf and the red panda. The zoo attracts about 300,000 visitors every year. The zoo serves as the central hub for Central Zoo Authority of India's red panda program.

    We wandered around for 30min and saw the snow leapod, black bear, red panda, himayalan wolf and tiger. Even though they are caged they did look quite healthy. Just a shame about the very loud Indian tourists shouting at each other in conversation even though the signs around the park say "Silence"
    Read more