Satellite
  • Day 5

    Sightseeing in Koh Samui

    March 4, 2020 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Today was Tourist Day.

    We started at Plai Laem Temple , it is one of Koh Samui’s most attractive temples. It is extremely colourful and was completed in 2004.

    Although some of the buildings are in traditional Thai architecture, most of the complex is build in Thai-Chinese style.

    Next stop was Big BuddhaTemple which sits on a small rocky island off Koh Samui’s northeastern corner. We can actually see it from our Resort. Big Buddha is a golden, 12 metre tall seated Buddha statue built in 1972. Big Buddha temple is reached by a causeway that connects it to the main island. The Big Buddha is often the first landmark people see when arriving in Samui by air.

    Big Buddha sits in the Mara posture, with the left hand’s palm up resting on the lap and the right hand facing down, the fingers hanging over the knee and grazing the ground. It depicts a time during Buddha’s journey to enlightenment where he successfully subdued the temptations and dangers thrust at him by the devil-figure Mara by meditating and remaining calm. The pose is a symbol of steadfastness, purity and enlightenment.

    Both of these we have visited before but as they were on the itinerary we thought we might get some information about the sites from the tour guide but unfortunately he was not that good.

    3rd strop was Lad Koh Viewpoint, again we have been here before however it was at Dr Frog's restaurant for dinner so the view was at night. The view is breathtaking, the water is a turquoise colour and so clear, you can see right down to Chaweng beach and all the way across to the surrounding beaches and hills. I walked down the steps to the rocks to get the photo's.

    4th stop we have not visited before but we did know about the area. Hin Ta and Hin Yai are the highlights of some fascinating rock formations at the southern end of Lamai Beach on Koh Samui. They've been a source of giggles and wonder on the island since they were discovered by the locals many years ago. Known as Grandpa (Ta) and Grandma (Yai), the rocks look, respectively, like male and female genitalia. I only took photo's of the nice rocks.

    5th Stop we have been here before Guan Yu Shrine is a historic shrine of Guan Yu, god of war and faithfulness in ancient Chinese beliefs.

    Stop 6 Mummified Monk. Koh Samui’s mummified monk at Wat Khunaram is an unusual sight yet it offers a unique insight into Buddhist and Thai culture. The monk Luong Pordaeng died in 1973 in a seated meditative position, and ever since his body has been on display in an upright glass case at the temple. Remarkably, even more than 30 years on the monk’s body shows little sign of decay.There are other mummy monks on Samui and throughout Thailand, but Loung Pordang is among the most highly revered.
    Read more