Satellite
  • Day 3 Victoria Falls to Chobe National P

    September 24, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    We had a slow start this morning, which was perfectly understandable. Bags packed, tents down and then breakfast. We had enjoyed our stay in Shearwater Village campsite.

    The ATC truck (our safari vehicle for the next 8 days) took us to the entrance to the Falls and Damian came along as our guide. The Zambezi had reduced in size considerably since April (when the first Oxley group visited) but it was still a spectacular sight. We visited the David Livingstone statue before gradually making our way along the various view points to the Boiling Pot. No water flowing over the Falls from about halfway.

    We left the town of Victoria Falls before midday and made our way through very dry countryside to the border with Botswana. Through Customs, we had the mandatory 'Foot & Mouth' prevention walk through chemically treated water so that we did not bring anything with us that would affect the Botswanan cattle industry.

    In Kasane the truck crew took us to a Choppies supermarket to stock up for our trip (much cheaper in Botswana). From there to our home for the next 2 days, Thebe River Lodge & Campground. Our tents were up before a late lunch.

    Almost immediately we were on board 3 jeeps for our first visit to Chobe National Park. A memorable experience followed (I had never seen so many elephants together before) and we encountered lion, giraffe, zebra, kudu, wart hog, baboon and hundreds of impala.

    We were back at Thebe River campsite about 7.00 - and who was there to greet us but Dr Tempe Adams, an Old Oxleyan, who works locally with Elephants without Borders. After dinner Tempe talked to everyone and spoke of her experiences in Africa. It was a great way to end the day!
    Read more