Satellite
  • Day 8 Into the Okavango Delta

    August 30, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Tents down again before breakfast and then the large Delta Rain truck turned up and we loaded all the necessary items on to it. We were taking our own tents and sleeping rolls as well as cooking equipment.

    By 8.30 we were heading north through Maun and half an hour later turned westward on a bumpy, dusty road that twisted and turned through the Kalahari desert sands until eventually , an hour later, we reached Boro, our point of embarkation. We loaded up, two to a mokoro, and with mokoros carrying our equipment, were soon a convoy of 18 canoes. Our journey through the reeds required 1.5 hours of polling and eventually we reached our destination, Mamakudu (sp?) Island.

    Tents were pitched, lunch eaten and then everyone found shade to relax in the heat of the afternoon. Not everybody though because some tried their skills at polling a mokoro in the hippo channel close to our campsite. It wasn't too long before someone fell in, followed by others.

    At 4.30 we were all polled to a nearby island where we were guided in 4 groups on short fauna/flora introductory walk. Plenty of evidence of animal life (poos of all shapes and sizes!) but most of us only saw zebra.

    A beautiful sunset and then back to our island and our campsite. Dinner around the campfire and we sat and talked until tiredness took us off toto bed.
    Read more