Satellite
  • Day 11 Our horse-back safari

    October 2, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We had an early breakfast in preparation for our horse riding this morning. Dany Hancock of Rides on the Wildside arrived and we were broken up into groups determined by riding ability and weight. The first two groups, led by Natacha Brochard and Peter Craig, were driven the short ride to the camp's boat ramp. Soon the 13 were speeding upstream on the Thamalakane River for a 15 minute ride to the horses. It was a great way to start the day, with herons and fish eagles in view.

    At our point of disembarkation, within a private game park, we were met by Liz and Katherine and the horses. One group rode for an hour while the other group were taught how to groom and look after horses. And then the roles were reversed.

    On our ride we saw zebra, eland, oryx, springbok, impala and giraffe. It was great to see these beautiful animals from close up on horse back. At the end of our ride we came trotting back to the river.

    In the afternoon the groups swapped round and, as in with the morning group, those not riding spent the afternoon in the swimming pool.

    We were joined by Mrs Senatla Mokobela, the Sedie Junior Secondary School Principal, for dinner which we had out under the trees. A relaxing evening followed before we retired to our tented accommodation.
    Read more