Satellite
  • Day 13

    Day 13. (Day 2 Sedie, Day 1 Mathiba)

    October 9, 2019 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 36 °C

    Today we were in less of a hurry to get to Sedie JSS and we took on the Maun morning traffic. Once at school we waited for some time to be allocated to our classes. In groups of about 5 we attended classes until morning break. Most of the classes were doing revision for their Form III exams which start next week.

    At break we left Sedie and walked the 800 metres to next door Mathiba Memorial Primary School. Previously the entrance to the school had been unimposing but now there’s an impressive set of gates that clearly state the relationship between Oxley College and Mathiba., of which they are most proud.

    We were all taken into the Mathiba staff room and were welcomed by the Mathiba Head (Noah) and his staff. Mr Marnoch spoke on behalf of Oxley and the meeting ended with a prayer.

    From there we went outside where a group of Standard IV students danced for us in traditional costume. It was most impressive!

    Then, in pairs of Oxley students, we were allocated groups of Mathiba students and, after looking for shade in the school grounds we set about engaging with the primary students. Some played games, others read stories or coloured in Australian animals. We had great fun and everybody enjoyed themselves. A return to Mathiba tomorrow is now eagerly anticipated.

    We walked back to Sedie for the packed lunch we had brought with us from the camp and sat in the shade of the car park to eat it. The afternoon was so hot that by mutual agreement activities were cancelled and we returned, via a supermarket stop for water, to Sitatunga.

    After a shower or swim we were ready for the local challenge of a football and netball game with neighbouring villagers. A short trip on one of the trucks, a greeting (dumela) to the headmen of the 4 adjacent kraals, and the games started. Everybody had fun, enjoyed themselves and the Oxley teams gave a good showing against the local adults.
    Read more