Satellite
  • Day 25

    Burgos - here for 2 nights

    September 16, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Photos from yesterday didn’t upload, but at least the words did. We are now at a very comfortable, modern hotel in Burgos, but the wifi is a bit weak I think, so will write up the day first, then experiment with photos.

    It was, as anticipated a long walk - ended up being 26 kms - though despite our reading up and studying maps, we missed the route we wanted into the city, and ended up walking along a road - first a quiet country road, then a long circuit of the airport, then a straight divided road with a footpath into the city centre through an industrial area - dead quiet on a Sunday afternoon - and once we realised what we had done, we weren’t too unhappy as it was easier than the alternative industrial route we did last time which was very tiresome. We had hoped to go along the river, our best option, but once we realised we had missed a turn it was much too late to go back. It didn’t make much difference distance-wise. And we did end up along the river, but when we got more into the centre...luckily we are familiar enough with Burgos that we worked out how to walk in, and where to find our hotel easily...it was just a long hot 26+ kms!

    But first must mention dinner last night at San Juan. There is no choice of eatery, and all the hotel people ate in the dining room at the bar...we were at a table next to the other Aussies - Jodi the yoga teacher, and Michael and Claire - the father/daughter from Bonnet Bay (and Claire went to the same primary school as Jess, Liv and Ted!). At our table were 2 French walkers who spoke almost no English, so we had a hilarious time speaking French to them, English with the Aussies and Spanish with the waiter (who of course knew them all - enough for waitering anyway)...Amr was very good switching languages constantly, i was much slower getting my brain changing, but it was fun.

    So this morning everyone set out early, as we had been given a bag with food for breakfast the night before, so we didn’t need to wait for breakfast in the dining room, which is usually 7.30. So by daylight most of us went. We left around 7.40, sun rises at about 7.50 now I think, so it was rather beautiful. And the first part was very beautiful - through pine forest, fairly level, a perfect start. At the first village we stopped for a really good coffee, so all was well. Then we went along a bit and climbed quite a high alto and finally saw Burgos in the distance. It looked not all that far away, but that was in fact the beginning of the long hot part! We zigzagged down, took the unwanted wrong turn which is also marked with Camino signs, and began our long journey on hard road surface. But whichever way, it is a long journey into the city and we are very happy to be here. And to have a whole day tomorrow to wander round and see the beautiful buildings and of course the cathedral.

    Amr, surprisingly is now at the laundromat! We shed all our smelly clothes and will have a fresh start! A good feeling, and all very relaxing. When he gets back we will hit the town. Now to try to publish, and add some photos!
    Read more