Satellite
  • Day 31

    Walk to Calzadilla de la Cueza

    September 22, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Today was short - 16.5 kms! But it was quite hard work for the last 10 kms or so as it was totally exposed, and no villages between here and Carrión. It was completely flat, and amazingly not boring scenery (though I think some people may not have agreed!) with the usual dead sunflowers, stubble and surprisingly a few fields of corn! Haven’t seen that lately. And rows of trees breaking the monotony.

    So we left our luxury hotel at 8.50, late for us, but breakfast wasn’t till 8. It is such a beautiful place- Monasterio de San Zoilo - was once a Benedictine monastery, hence the cloister outlook from our room, and yes Liv, we actually had a double bed rather than 2 put together. The risk with a double bed is sometimes that there is only one long pillow for the 2 or you, but this perfect place not only had a pillow each, but 3 pillows each!!

    So we set off, with plenty of water for this day in the sun, and got here by 12.40....at the beginning we did have a fair bit of shade, with trees alongside the track, but it was just the end part that was extremely bright and hot. On arrival we sat immediately and had a beer before checking in, and then as we hadn’t eaten our lunch yet, we shared a plate of freshly made seafood paella!! Yum! This was all with the many people we now who are in step with us - ie stopping at the same towns...

    Calzadilla de la Cueza is a tiny place, 5 years ago it didn’t appear at all on Google maps, but my photos actually say that is where we are...We had a drink here with Michael and Claire but they had to walk another 9 kms to another town...poor things...by then we were so relaxed knowing we were “home”...and it may be the last time we encounter them as we are a bit out of sync from now on...they will already be in León when we walk in, but it is a big place (compared to these villages). But we have a very comfortable and convivial group of peregrino friends here at the moment, and will be in sync with them for a while at least.

    Tomorrow we walk into Sahagún, past the place where we are photographed on Google maps!
    Read more