Satellite
  • Day 45

    Climbed the big mountain, now in Galicia

    October 6, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Well we have done it!! Climbed the biggest ascent of the Camino, and are now in O’Cebreiro for 2 nights! From Amr’s Apple Watch, our statistics for the day are: 14.2 kms, and we ascended 720 metres! Considering that, we both feel pretty good....And the other amazing thing is, the weather prediction was correct...it did cloud over during the morning but was high cloud while we were walking, and we had the stunning views...and the showers didn’t start till about 2 o’clock (we arrived at 12.30) ...in fact it is just heavy misty droplets, but the whole surrounding 360° views are whited out. This is an experience for us, as last time we were treated to perfect weather, so now we see what this top of the world often looks like. And the good news is that tomorrow it clears up (in fact the precipitation is meant to stop later this afternoon) and by tomorrow afternoon and Monday when we walk out all is sunny and beautiful again.

    So we set off around 8 this morning in 7° cold, with jackets and layers, and mainly kept them on all day. It did get a bit hot sometimes in the sun going uphill, but basically remained cool and comfortable. It was a long constant uphill walk, but the views became increasingly more spectacular as you ascended which was the reward, and we just plodded slowly.

    We are staying at the same place as last time...very nice and comfortable room. Dinner is included, and instead of having to wait till 8pm, we have to eat any time before 8.30...perfect! After showering we had a lunch of pulpo a la Galega, and a glass of Alberiño- both specialties of Galicia...all is well, and looking forward to a day tomorrow of total relaxation. It is cold!! Goes down to 3° and maximum of about 11°...suits me...out come all the fleeces! Will publish this now and then try for photos...I got yesterday’s ones off, but as more people arrive it may be more difficult..we’ll see.
    Read more