Satellite
  • Day 46

    Day of rest on top of the world

    October 7, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    We are having a day of total relaxation here in O Cebreiro....altitude is 1330 metres, and it is cold. This is the thing about the Camino this time - the fluctuations from hot to cold! I can’t believe that only on Wednesday we were so hot in Ponferrada that we went back to the hotel to escape the heat...then we arrive here on Saturday and freeze! It was about 3° this morning, and with a smart wool layer, a fleecy turtleneck, a shirt and a down jacket I am only just warm enough...and I have bought some gloves for the early morning walking, as it looks as if it will be cool for a while. Even though, it may warm up a bit more in the afternoons once we are down from these heights.

    So we leisurely went to breakfast at about 9 this morning. It was still misty and foggy, and a whited out view mostly, with just little breaks where the sun was peeping through and the cloud was burning off. This continued during the morning, and now it is blue sky and perfect 360° panorama! Amr and I went for a walk up the hill overlooking this little village, so beautiful. It is a very small place, and quite a place for tourist buses...being Sunday we saw several groups arriving and being taken through the village. They probably weren’t around long enough to see the view transform. However, they would have admired the Celtic stone and slate houses, and the 9th century church - beautiful and simple.

    As we were returning from our walk there on the path were Judy and Dorothy, the Canadian sisters, who had just walked in! Great reunion and just chance! And then, also happenstance, up walked Jessica who had also walked in this morning. So we are back in step, and will probably be more or less in sync now till Santiago. We celebrate by having a bit of lunch together....went to a restaurant up the street which was very busy with locals having Sunday lunch. Now we plan to take our kindles up and sit on the hill in the sun...it will just be warm enough to be enjoyable!!

    Must also mention that we are enjoying the Galician food...last night had the delicious cabbage and potato soup...we see the tall cabbages in vegetable gardens everywhere...like lea lettuce...they just pick the leaves and the stems grow taller and taller as more leaves grow. We will have more tonight.
    Read more