Satellite
  • Day 47

    A stunning walk...now at Triacastela

    October 8, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Another amazing day...I think the last 2 days - climbing up to O Cebreiro and today descending to Triacastela are probably the most spectacular of the Camino. We walked 22 kms, descended from 1330 metres altitude to here which is 675 metres, so quite a lot of downhill walking!

    We left a bit before 8, when it was not quite light, and was 2°...I was really happy I had gloves! But it was a magic time...it got lighter each minute, and it was totally clear, no mist even down in the valleys below, so this spectacular scene gradually revealed itself, and continued all day. For the most part, we undulated along the shoulder of the mountains, at one point having a steep ascent to an altitude even greater than O Cebreiro!! Then we continued, still quite high with amazing valley views in all directions, till we finally made the big descent to Triacastela. We could see a town in the distance and couldn’t believe it could be where we were to go...but it was! Just a beautiful walk through the Galician countryside.

    Galicia is a different world from the Camino till now. We have the stone walls, houses, slate or thatched roofs, and we walk through dairy farms, and see and smell cows. It just feels like a new country, and the language is different...a lot of words with X, rather like Basque! (Though am sure the Basques and the Galicians would not agree!). Also we notice another difference...much more tourism...busloads came to O Cebreiro, and today we came across several guided tours of walkers, and even a tour of horse riders doing the Camino! SO glad we are free to do our own thing!! Of course, after a rest day, you see a new group of walkers anyway. Also, after Sarria where we walk to tomorrow, there are potentially many more pilgrims as a lot of people start there and do that last section to Santiago...but hopefully, as it is now October, we won’t notice too much increase in the walker population.

    I’ll add a couple of photos, and if it goes well, will send more as we have so many stunning ones to choose from!
    Read more