Satellite
  • Day 68

    Last day in Madrid - and Spain

    October 29, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 6 °C

    This is the end of our 2 months in Spain. It has been a varied, physically taxing and wonderful time. From the heat at the end of summer, to the very cold autumn weather now, and from the foothills of the Pyrenees to the Maseta, then across more mountains and hills in Galicia...what could be more wonderful and varied. And now this last week of winding down and visiting some new places - Salamanca and Segovia - and revisiting Madrid. We are so lucky to be able to do this....

    So today we stayed in town. Went to the Reina Sofia museum which houses modern art, including Picasso’s famous painting of Guernica. Then we just wandered around, trying to keep warm! It was again mostly below 10°, and I see that tomorrow there are snow warnings. Hopefully our plane will have taken off by then. Tonight we had our final dinner at Rosi La Loca. Again a great meal. It is fusion food, and that is probably why we are so enjoying it as we have had straight Spanish food for so long. They do Asian flavours and do interesting combinations of ingredients. And we noticed tonight that most of the diners are not Spanish...not English or American either necessarily, but from many parts...and many languages.

    So tomorrow we fly to San Francisco, and spend 6 nights there before returning home next week on Wednesday 7th. It should be a good unwind from here, and it will be great to see Simon who will be there as originally planned, and not on a work trip to Angola! This will be the last blog post for this trip as San Francisco will be the calming down time, not the hype of Camino and foreign parts. We think this has been perhaps the best trip ever!!
    Read more