Satellite
  • Day 26

    We have finally left Carlisle!

    September 24, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    Today we left Carlisle for the last time! And we are now out in the countryside - we walked to a small village called Walton, but were picked up there and are staying at a very beautiful guest house at Brampton nearby. The walk today was about 20 kms.

    So we set out early, that is straight after breakfast. Quite a lot of rain was predicted but we have realised you never know exactly when, and how heavy it will be etc...so when we started it was cloudy but fine, and stayed that way for quite a few hours. It was beautiful walking along the river and again through fields with cattle or sheep. Still quite muddy and boggy in parts, and quite hard work.

    So all was well till finally the rain did start. We sheltered under a thick tree and hoped the squall would pass, as it looked bright around the edges! And that paid off, it did calm down and we walked on, in rain gear but not in a downpour.

    Then finally, when we were seriously close to our destination it teemed. We found a shelter - they have these - a place with refreshments - chocolate, chips, drinks, even ice creams, with an honesty box to leave the money. We didn’t need the food as we had lunch from last night’s Band B, but we needed the shelter and we could sit and eat our lunch and watch the rain. We almost called the taxi that was to pick us up at Walton from there, as this time it really looked set in rain, but it finally did ease and we decided to set off again. And were happy we did as it was a beautiful section and it was barely raining.

    When we got to Walton we found a bus shelter as it did start to seriously rain again and called the taxi...it was funny, as after a while a car pulled up by the bus shelter and we waved and started to get in ( we weren’t actually in, but obviously approaching) and the woman looked surprised and laughed and said she was just posting a letter, not picking us up!! Finally our ride did come and we came to this amazing gorgeous place. I would take a photo except it is raining and I’m not going out in it! But will try in the morning before we leave.

    The very gracious hostess said to leave any wet things and she put them in the drying room, and we were shown to our rooms. Now sitting in a cosy living room with a fire, having tea and wine! Dinner is here, we have just chosen from a menu. There is a sweet blond 17 month old called Archie who wanders in now and then - very good, doesn’t touch the tea things, just checks us out and peeps behind chairs. I think his grandmother is our hostess, and the daughter appears now and then ...I think they are busy making dinners. Several other cars of people have also arrived. Very comfortable!!
    Read more