Satellite
  • Day 40

    Across the Arctic Circle

    October 8, 2019 in Norway ⋅ ☀️ 4 °C

    Now we are officially in the Arctic. We crossed the “line” at 8.03 this morning, and you pass an island with a globe on a stand that is the marker! Everyone out with cameras. We are again amazingly lucky with the weather, and so far our Arctic experience has been a beautiful sunny day, and not all that cold (when you’re in the sun, or not in the wind!). We keep passing stunning rocky crags, and mountainsides covered in autumn colours, just stunning and not possible to capture in photos.

    There were many stops during the night, but the first one where people could disembark was Bodø, a small town and not cute and historic as it had been bombed and burnt down in WWII and rebuilt in the 50s and 60s. However, not as ugly buildings as some from that time! We didn’t go on any of the excursion but had a walk to the town, had a coffee and hot chocolate, and came back to the ship and tried the jacuzzi! Lovely to be in the hot steaming bubbling water when the air outside is so cold...we sat in it till we pulled out of port and watched Bodø recede!

    Now having the quiet time before out 8 o’clock dinner, watched the sunset and passing islands. It is getting quite rocking as we go into the open sea for a while. When going down to our cabin a little while ago it was hard walking steadily along the corridor...hopefully not enough to get seasick...all Part of the adventure.
    Read more