Satellite
  • Day 66

    At Auros - a rainy walk

    October 3, 2021 in France ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    Today was the first truly rainy day, and we wore our ponchos from start to finish. Not bad being our 31st day of walking! But first last night’s dinner at a real restaurant…Les Perles de Pimpin. A great little place and we had a terrific meal…Amr had the star entrée, a tomato crumble with basil ice cream, and we both had cod with leek cream sauce. Yum. We booked for 7.30 when they opened, and more people didn’t come till almost 8…but we get hungry and tired and don’t feel like waiting! One couple who came we noticed were speaking in English, and they appeared this morning at breakfast at our BandB. And there was also another French couple staying…quite busy, but guess it was Saturday night.

    Rain had been predicted all day today and it was raining as we left, but gentle and in fact it never poured really hard thank goodness. But it was persistent, and at times more heavy, and occasionally almost stopped, but by the time we arrived I was damp through…drips had seeped in, and into my shoes too and I felt quite cold…it has been 15-17° I think….and kept dreaming of a hot shower as we walked! But it is amazing how much energy you have when you are cold…we walked quite powerfully without getting tired - I guess just keeping warm! It was about 22 kms, and on arrival I felt I could set off again (as long as I was dry)…

    Maybe the fact that is was a basically flat walk contributed to our energy and lack of tiredness. It was beautiful leaving La Réole, crossing the Eiffel bridge and then walking beside the Garonne on the dike - the south bank is built up with quite a wall, presumably to protect from flooding, as the land on this side is flat which was such a delight to walk through. After we left the river we wound along little roads and paths, none too slippery and muddy, and grass paths were actually good! The scenery was lovely but not one of those breathtaking days which was handy as it wasn’t a day for photos. Amr had his phone handy and took a few, but mine was hiding in my backpack. We ran into the French couple of a few days ago - had seen them in La Réole and again on and off today. At the peak of the persistent rain we found a covered place in a school yard, or some institution, and stopped there to eat, and just as we finished they bounded in with the same plan…all of us soaking. Maybe Amr not so much so…I think his poncho didn’t let as many drips in as mine. He has a new one that he bought on the Hurtigruten boat in Norway, but hadn’t yet worn. We found it has “connect with your inner explorer” on the back!!! He is doing that!

    Auros is another very small town, and we are at a lovely BandB run by an American from Minnesota. She is married to a French man and they have 2 small children. Very warm and it was relaxing to be greeted in English. We are drying our clothes in the dryer, and have moved into a cosy room for guests in the house (our room is in a separate building) to sit and write and read. In our room the wifi was almost non existent with the stone walls (we find we often have to go to windows or doors to get good reception) and we were sitting in the doorway of our room, but it was cold, and sprinkling a bit, so this is perfect. And the wifi here is exceptionally good Amr says! Tonight we have been booked into a restaurant, l’Absolu, up the road by our chemin organisers, which we passed on our way here and looks fabulous…another official restaurant! And we are booked for 8pm. Will report on that tomorrow - and it is predicted to be fine weather!
    Read more